Old July 5th 05, 06:00 AM
John Smith

Mike:

Wealthy man, setting the ten hams up in existence with webcams on
their rigs and letting them claim they invented the internet?

(Hey, who really did invent the internet, Al Gore or hams--frankly I
believe Al Gore more!)

Krist, equipment manufacturers are already abandoning hams, your next
transceiver will be made by "Cobra", they can supply you with ham
rigs--they are already manufacturing CB rigs!

Just consider it "radio welfare" for hams. Your "entitlement." grin

John

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
news
KØHB wrote:
"Dee Flint" wrote

Hey I'm all for the "eureka" when it happens but the problem is
that it is unpredictable. Not only is it unpredictable in time but
in the nature of the breakthrough.

That's what makes ham radio some damn much fun! In my profession
role I can send a team of engineers off with some marketeers
scribbling and know that within 12-18 months I'll be shipping
product. Bnt ham radio is not so predicable --- we get these
delightful surprises from unexpected places.

Some like APRS and PSK-xx gain traction and thrive in a niche,
others like AX.25 packet radio and 2-meter autopatches which
blossom like an Independence Day firework, then fizzle to a few
sparks on the ground after a short period of glory.

Then there are a few genuine "revolutions" which fundamentally
change the nature of amateur radio. We're about due for one of
those.

More so than that, Hans. This would be a real breakthrough!

Bandwidth is a precious commodity. That we are looking at a method
of transmission that breaks Shannon's law is one thing, but here is
a method that will allow us to send video at frequencies that are
less than their original needed bandwidth!!!!! If that isn't a
revolution, I don't know what is!

"John" should be thankful for my gauntlet that I tossed him. He will
be a *wealthy* man after his system is in place and working!

I mean we do all know why there is more bandwidth available as the
frequency is increased, no? No change in the *really* basic laws
governing bandwidth, correct? John's method, upon successful
completion, means that with simply using a personal computer, we
will be able to stuff immense amounts more data into all the
available bands. The problems of bandwidth squeeze will go away, and
quickly!

What is most amazing is that a lot of engineers and programmers have
been working on this problem for a long time, and now an anonymous
poster in a newsgroup has figured out how to do it - with a PC and a
sound card no less. Amazing indeed....

I'll be proud just to be proven wrong on such a momentous moment in
communications history.

- Mike KB3EIA -