Old February 7th 04, 12:57 PM
Lou deGonzague

Thanks Henry, I see what you are saying. The pins come up to about an 1/8'
from the top of the plate. One thing I just noticed, there is no pin in the
17A position, bottom left corner spot. I wonder if mine is missing or it
was made that way?
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
Lou
Under the black cover over the matrix swtich there are 3 black bakelite
slabs (3.5" X 4.5" X ~1/4") with 187 holes sandwiching 185 pins. With the
black cover removed (2 screws) and the card plunger pushed in and you'll
see that the sandwich "floats" on four 8-32 threaded posts. Each of these
posts has 2 nuts sandwiching the slab sandwich. The position of the

lower
4 nuts (I called these jam nuts) determines how far in the 185 pins go

into
their female counterpart where there is no hole in the card. If there's a
hole in the card the pins must not make contact with their female
counterpart, and this clearance is about the thickness of a dime. In
addtion all these jam nuts must be on the same plane so that the sandwich
is orthagonal and will not bind so it can move smoothly.
A pix would have been easier but the batteries are being charged. Let me
know if you still need a pix.
73
hank wd5jfr

"Lou deGonzague" wrote in message
This was a very interesting post Henry, I have one of these and it seems

be working OK. I have everything except the cal cell is dead. I would

like
to see a pic of those jam nuts that you shouldn't touch if possible as I
thought about cleaning the card reader.
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
In this case the "assembler" needed flogging!

hank wd5jfr
"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

It's fixed, a new day respite helps.

Which just undescores what I've been telling my techs all
along. VERIFY everything before you start flogging the
assembly.

Jeff

temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Tara Morice as Fran, from the movie "Strictly Ballroom"