Old July 9th 05, 06:09 PM
Michael Black

" Uncle Peter" ) writes:
"Carl WA1KPD" wrote in message
I am converting an old Marine Radio to a 160 mtr rig. The supply used a
transformer with a 100CPS vibrator. Can I use the transformer that came

with
it on 60 CPS AC?

Tnx

Carl

Carl

I got away with on a lot of early car radios, but the question is more
related to the amount of "iron" in the transformer core. Some
transformers have enough engineered leeway to allow operating
at lower frequencies, others will quickly overheat. Try it and see,
watch the transformer temperature closely..

Pete

I ran an old RCA Carfone that way back in 1972. Scrounged up some
big filament transformers (and put them in series for 12vac), and
connected them to the Carfone's power supply where the vibrators
fed their transformers. I recall the Carfone's transformer did
get fairly hot, but I never had any problem doing it.

Michael VE2BVW