Old July 10th 05, 02:42 PM
John Ferrell

I admit I have only read the first few and the last post on this
subject, but I just have to offer my opinions....

This is Amateur Radio. If the insurance companies and the politicians
had their ways, we probably would not do much of any of this.

Here is a fellow who has takes his own unique circumstances and put up
an experimental antenna support. He has chosen to accept the
responsibility of haven chosen to do things differently. He has not
done it the way I would have but only time will tell if he has
fulfilled the structural requirements.

I have been down my own path on towers since the early 1960's and
experienced two failures. It never occurred to me to call the
insurance company. I always made certain that the mess stayed within
the confines of my property.

Every tower project I have done has had at least one significant
aspect that could be improved upon.

The only problems I see with using a tree as a guy point is that it
moves a little and you have to take care to not kill the tree. Dead
trees are unreliable.

In a lot of neighborhoods, land use is negotiable. Out here in the
country I have come to accept that a few cows in the yard are
something that happens from time to time. What constitutes
encroachment is in the eye of the beholder...

I have always wondered about the accepted practice of putting up a 60
foot tower of all the same size sections. It seems to me that the top
half or at least third would be better if it were lighter. It
certainly is not going to see the same stresses as the lower
components.

AD5TH lives in an area that sees some high winds, I hope this bad
experience with the nay sayers does not keep him from sharing his
experiences in the future.

73, de W8CCW

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:55:08 -0700, "Ed Price"
wrote:

Yes but you need everything first insurance with one company and then at
the maximum but the minimums. You pay dearly for a general liability
rider if you take it all into account. Yes you are protected.

Hank, those general riders are expensive, and no, I don't have one. OTOH, I
am not erecting a 75' tower, made with two dissimilar structural systems,
joined together by amateur engineering and welding, a very minimal concrete
base, and held in place with guy wires running to nearby trees and an
illegal encroachment onto someone else's property. The OP wanted our opinion
of his efforts; he got 'em. The extent of my insurance coverage has
absolutely no bearing on the subject of AD5TH's tower project.