Old September 5th 03, 07:10 PM
Peter O. Brackett

Slick:

[snip]
Not as limited as yours, it would seems! ;^)

Show me an antenna-coax network that reflects more power than
incident! Impossible!

Slick

[snip]

Ever operate your antenna coax in the near field of a commerical broadcast
antenna?

Guess what the reflected power reads?

RF applications, Ham antennas and transmission lines are ho-hum
technology...

Such simple applications do not present any great analysis difficulty or
operating
challenges, they are approximately lossless and distortionless and always
operated narrow band with a purely resistive Zo =50 Ohms.

The question of complex Zo never arises in ham applications or most other
RF applications for that matter...

The most difficult transmission line problems for design and analysis are
those
operating in what is known as DSL [digital subscriber loop] technology and
similar applications.

In the DSL application the Zo of the line, up to 18,000 feet of twisted pair
with at leat 1500 Ohms of DC resistance, is extremely complex and varies
all over the map over 5 - 6 decades of operating frequency range from DC
to tens of MegaHz, supported by full duplex transmitters transmitting
simulaneously
at full power on both ends with the receivers hooked directly to the same
ends.

If you have succesfully designed transceivers to operate on those lines,
maintained
by span powering from one end and shipped in the millions world wide as I
have, why
then my friend you may claim to know something about complex Zo and
reflection
coefficients.

--
Peter K1PO