Old July 10th 05, 10:30 PM
running dogg

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
running dogg wrote:

Conan Ford wrote:

"homepc" wrote in
:

Hi

I have a Degen DE1103 already, and the AM reception is pretty
good. I'm saving up for the new Grundig/Eton S350DL radio and was
wondering if it has better AM reception than the DE1103.

I like listening to Coast to Coast on KFAB Nebraska from Manitoba
Canada, but it's hit and miss with a radio. My local station
airs the show but cuts out the bumper music.

The S350 (not DL) has better sensitivity than the DE-1103.
However, it is less selective.

You may find that a Sony ICF-SW7600GR works well--it has
synchronous detection.

That may be a problem for somebody in Canada. The 7600 is no longer
sold in Canada, and Canadian customs is cracking down on stuff bought
over the net from the US and then shipped into Canada. He could
always look on Ebay for a used one, but he'll pay a premium. Another
possibility is looking on the ham swap sites for a cheap
tabletop-most of them cover the MW band, and their selectivity and
sensitivity is usually far better than a portable. I find that I have
less fading issues with my Yaesu than with any portable on MW.

What is to stop him from crossing the boarder and buying one for
personal use?

He concievably could, although it's hard to find any stores that carry
the 7600 in stock, even in major cities. I called the nearest official
Sony outlet, in San Francisco, and asked them if they carried the 7600.
Their response: we don't have it in stock, but we can order one for you.
I ultimately bought a Degen off Ebay. If he's in Manitoba, the nearest
official Sony outlet in the US is going to be some distance away.