Old July 11th 05, 12:22 AM
David

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:23:35 GMT, D Peter Maus
wrote:

You know, I've played with R-75 on and off since it's release.
It's not a bad radio. Not a 'best in class', except that it's pretty
much the only one left in that class. For the money it wasn't
exactly a bad value.

As has been pointed out here, though, a number of times, it's a
start out of the box, but requires finishing. If you have to drop
coin to modify it to get the radio it should have been all along,
then there are probably better alternatives.

Absent any competition in class, ICOM wouldn't be too highly
motivated to put forth the effort.

I've owned and still own a number of ICOM radios. Still use R-10
and R-7000 every day. And I owned R-71a for years. Wouldn't mind
having that one back. But some of the corners cut by ICOM to save a
few sheckels is baffling on radios of their otherwise significant
quality. The result is a lot of promise, but, too often, short
delivery.

I like mine just fine out of the box. Well worth $500. The SSB works
very well for Utes, as well as MWDX and SWBC. The DSP is OK, but
doesn't enhance readability much. Notch filters are fun on WWV.