Old July 13th 05, 01:53 AM
Michael

"craigm" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote:

I find that there isn't anything that I can hear with
the R-75 that I can hear with more expensive radios.

That's true. Images, birdies, artifacts, intermodulation products --
it's all there.

The R-75 is dumpster fodder. Value? yep. Value for money? yep.
Absolutely a good value? Not even close.

You need to experience a truly good radio. See
http://www.sherweng.com for some guidelines.

Let me get this straight..... "Dumpster Fodder ???" Your getting carried
away....

Recommend a better radio that will have a PRACTICAL improvement over an
R-75 without spending over $ 1,000.00 Please dont spit out specs that
hardly differ from that of the R-75 and are not statistically significant
PRACTICALLY speaking.

Tell me what radio NEW out of the box will give me a PRACTICAL
improvement on my R-75 for under $1,000.00 and I'll buy it this week.
Remember, this is for DX'ing. I dont want a boom box.

Michael

Can you list the radios that fall in the $500-$1000 price range the might
be candidates for comparison? They would have to be generally available
within the US.

Other then a few computer controlled alternatives, there are no other
choices other then the R-75. That's the larger point.

The radios in the list I'm asking for don't have to meet your "PRACTICAL
improvement" criteria.

What does "statistically significant PRACTICALLY speaking" mean?

craigm

Meaning exactly as stated. Here is an example:

The Drake R-8 was tested to have a sensitivity of 0.25 and 0.18 with the pre
amp on.

The R-75 was tested to have a sensitivy of 0.5 and .02 with the first level
pre amp on

The Kenwood R-5000 was tested to have a sensitivity of .02

The NRD-525 was tested to have a sensitivity of .02

OK, what do you say ???? You can see what receiver gets the better test
numbers here. Think it matters PRACTICALLY speaking given what typical
noise floors are ??? Would you feel it was worth it to spend a few thousand
dollars to get that extra decimal ??? This applies equally to other values.

Do you understand my point yet ????

Michael