Old July 13th 05, 10:13 PM
D Peter Maus

Michael Lawson wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

Michael Lawson wrote:

Honestly, I don't have an IC-R75 to compare with my
Sat 800, but if I were going for purely DX machine,
I'd seriously look into an R-5000, R8/R8A/R8B or
an NRD-525/NRD-535. Nothing against the R75, but
if the sync is that bad as is believed, I'd rather go for
either a better one (Drake's) or none at all (JRC or
Kenwood).

The sync on R-75 works. And works quite well, when it's applied
according to directions. It is, however more than a bit fiddly. And
most users have neither the patience, nor the inclination to apply
it according to instructions.

I had no problems with the sync in the R-75's I've used. But it
was more work to get them to do what I expected than other designs.

I take it that it's a bit more than simply push the button,
then?? What has to be done to make the sync work, Peter??

Yes, it's more than simply pushing a button. It's been a number
of years since I've used one, but as I recall, there were some gain
adjustments, and filter selections. Once dialed in, sync worked fine.

There are some specific parameters that need to be addressed when
using sync on RX-350, too. But if you're attentive to the details,
it, too, works as promised. The best sync I've used to date is on
AR-7030+. Dials itself in and stays locked through the deepest
fades. Second is sync on HF-150.

I have a Drake. SW-2. Sync is fine, but more prone to losing lock
than the AOR.

For the record, I'm not as passionate about synchronous detection
as some here. It's a tool, nothing more. It doesn't cure cancer,
ingrown toenails, or receding hairlines. And it's not worth starting
a religion over. It's a tool for reception of radio signals. AM
Stereo uses it, too. In fact, that's where the Drake sync detector
came from.

I use it rarely. Mostly I rely on a good set of filters, a
comprehensive ground, and an antenna that can suck the pubic hairs
from between your teeth.

Nothing replaces good basics.

Not everything is going to be a Drake design. Still, this one is
less than as user friendly as current technology permits.

I'm just disappointed that Sony has never followed
up on their own sync with a model geared more toward
serious DXing than the 2010. The 2010 was a trendsetter,
but it was also the high water mark of Sony SW portables,
too.

--Mike L.