Old July 14th 05, 07:32 PM
Tim Wescott

Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

snip
HV isn't the only thing that can get you. High current can give you
a nasty surprise. Like the guy replacing some batteries on a golf cart.
He was using a ratchet wrench to tighten the battery clamps and he
ended on the most positive battery terminal. The handle of the wrench
hit the chassis of the golf cart putting it between 36 volts and ground
of some VERY HEAVY DUTY batteries. Ever see a Sears ratchet wrench
glow WHITE HOT? (and melt?)

Haven't seen that myself, but I've heard of people who have had
screwdrivers, etc. literally vaporized under such circumstances.

My brother came home from a business trip once with a scar on his wrist
5/8 inches wide and all the way around -- the truck was having
electrical problems & he shorted his metal watch band through the 12V
battery (there was a wrench involved in there somehow, of course).

I felt for him, but I was very glad that _he_ was the one to learn this
first hand, rather than me...

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com