Old July 14th 05, 07:56 PM
Mike Andrews

Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

HV isn't the only thing that can get you. High current can give you
a nasty surprise. Like the guy replacing some batteries on a golf cart.
He was using a ratchet wrench to tighten the battery clamps and he
ended on the most positive battery terminal. The handle of the wrench
hit the chassis of the golf cart putting it between 36 volts and ground
of some VERY HEAVY DUTY batteries. Ever see a Sears ratchet wrench
glow WHITE HOT? (and melt?)

Haven't seen that myself, but I've heard of people who have had
screwdrivers, etc. literally vaporized under such circumstances.

The canonical "Take-Your-Rings-Off" reminder in our electronics shop
in Japan, back when I was in the AF, was a color image, taken at our
base hospital, of a finger burnt to the bone all the way around: one of
the techs had got his wedding ring between ground and a high-current
low-voltage supply.

--
Mike Andrews W5EGO 5WPM
Extra