Old July 14th 05, 08:04 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:32:47 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:
Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
Ken Scharf wrote:

snip
HV isn't the only thing that can get you. High current can give you
a nasty surprise. Like the guy replacing some batteries on a golf cart.
He was using a ratchet wrench to tighten the battery clamps and he
ended on the most positive battery terminal. The handle of the wrench
hit the chassis of the golf cart putting it between 36 volts and ground
of some VERY HEAVY DUTY batteries. Ever see a Sears ratchet wrench
glow WHITE HOT? (and melt?)

Haven't seen that myself, but I've heard of people who have had
screwdrivers, etc. literally vaporized under such circumstances.

My brother came home from a business trip once with a scar on his wrist
5/8 inches wide and all the way around -- the truck was having
electrical problems & he shorted his metal watch band through the 12V
battery (there was a wrench involved in there somehow, of course).

I felt for him, but I was very glad that _he_ was the one to learn this
first hand, rather than me...

My dad (the first W3DHJ) told me a similar story.

It was in the late 20's. He was working on _his_ dad's Ford utility
truck. (Grandpa owned a dairy in Big Bear, Calif.) Six volts here.
The truck was parked in the driveway -- just outside the garage.
When my dad caught his ring between the positive terminal and the truck
frame, my Grandpa picked him up bodily -- ran him over to the rain barrel
at the corner of the garage -- and stuffed my dad's entire left arm (and
much of his upper torso) into the barrel.

( *The worst* thing you could do in a situation like that is try to _pull_
the ring off.)

My dad was a 90-day wonder in WW II. He then spent 25+ years in the
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (we traveled the planet....) Most of his
duty assignments were as Post Engineer -- with the added responsibity
as Post Safety Officer. I always knew him to be evangelically anal
about safety. I'm sure that incident with the old Ford truck had a
wee bit to do with it.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux