Old February 19th 04, 04:18 AM
- - Bill - -

Mike Knudsen wrote:

With all the adjustments provided, the VOX inthe HX-50 should work well. It's
nice that it has a built-in antenna relay -- would be a nice match with my
HQ-160 or 180 (though I'd rather use the 180 for AM).

I found the VOX to be pretty decent for an old rig. Of course mine
wasn't an 'old' rig at the time :-)

But the 6146 pinouts and heater voltage will match OK?

Rewire the socket. No biggie. But I'm not recommending this. The
power out of the 6146 was less...its that they were cheaper than the
6BQ6 which didn't hold up all that well. Now its a 'rare' vintage rig
and I wouldn't hose it up.

I haven't cracked the PA cage yet (did Hammarlund own their own screw factory?)
but I trust there's a neatralizing cap in there.

Yes.

What's the purpose of the nice air trimmer cap in the relay compartment below
the PA?

Don't recall...is it the neutralizing cap?

Some rigs (like Viking II or KWM-2) are really paranoid about drawing too much
grid current, especially when tuning up without PA B+ applied. The HX-50
doesn't even have a grid current mode on the meter, so maybe this is less of a
concern?

I don't think you CAN draw excessive grid current with it!

-Bill