Old July 17th 05, 08:22 AM

Dennis wrote:
Hi All,
New to ham, former CB'er in the process of obtaining my license. Would
appreciate any feedback, advise or suggestions on what is best 10M base
station rig. Don't have a lot of $$ but was looking at the Galaxy-2715
or Ranger-2890WX.

Junk to the core. Forget 'em.

Thanx in advance & any info is appreciated.

It's nice to see another CBer "cross the bridge", welcome aboard and
best of luck to you Dennis.

The only 10M-only ham transceievers out there which I know about are
the Radio Shack series of adaptations of their 5 watt Realistic 11M CB
mobile rigs like their 25 watt HTX-100. Which is a lousy radio by most
hams' standards but they work and you can get one for around a hundred
bucks used. You can't beat that no way nohow on a budgetary basis
assuming that all you want out of ham radio at this point in your
development is a cheap and dirty way to get on 10M ssb and CW from
home. Which is a not a very good idea because 10M is dying fast at
this point in the sunspot cycle and you'll wind up talking to yourself
on 10M.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2158

At the risk of being another snotty supremely predjudiced old fart ham
who takes a very dim view of CB radio don't use the term "base station"
which is straight-up CB jive talk. Avoid it. Hams have "desktop rigs",
"mobile rigs, "portable rigs" and vhf/uhf handhelds.

In general you'll have to spend several hundred bucks more for a used
"real" MF/HF ham desktop rig. And a whole lot more on a new desktopper.
But in return you would get would get far better receiver performace,
usually 100 watts out, the ability to operate in the other nine ham
bands below 10M and in most cases you'd also be able to contiuously
tune for shortwave broadcasts and such and even your local AM stations.

There are gobs of those rigs out. Used version can be had for maybe
half of their MSRPs. I have an FT-847 which I bought new for $1,350 on
sale a couple years ago. You can get a used 847 for $700-800 by surfing
around the Web which is quite typical of the kinds of savings you can
find in the used gear market. With a bit of diligence you can find an
oldie but goodie desktopper which does it all for $300.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/14

w3rv