Old February 22nd 04, 09:27 PM
Jan-Martin Noeding, LA8AK

On 21 Feb 2004 20:31:34 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Jimmy wrote:
Seems like most of the 6146s I have had to fail was due to shorts. This is
usually sfter many years of service.

Occasionally they fail with screen-plate shorts. If they have not been
damaged by excessive screen currents, you can sometimes bang them hard
against the desk a few time and dislodge the little balls of metal that
cause the shorts.
--scott

have no experience related to 6146's for the 40 years I've been using
them at home and coast radio- as well as TV-transmitters, the only
experience is related to bad design on amplifiers. Particularly bad
control grid or screen supply circuits.
Some cures was described in Radcom Technical Topics by Barry Priestley
G3JGO around 1972 and I have mentioned one on my page for FT901/902
mods
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/b21.htm while I believe his
experience was with some Heathkit transceiver, my mods applies for
most similar stages, not necessarily 6146B

73
Jan-Martin, LA8AK
----
Jan-Martin, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand