Old February 23rd 04, 11:54 PM
Chuck Harris

Hi,

I can't say that I have ever seen 409 damage anything, but I tend
to work on commercial gear. Ham gear often uses sub commercial
practices in its construction. I remember trying to deflux the boards
in a SB104 that I had just built. I tried isopropyl alcohol, like I
routinely did with commercial pc boards, and it started to remove the
solder mask! I have never seen anything like that before or since.

I can bet that hand scrubbing all those parts would do a great job of
punishing your poor fingers. Your PT would be proud!

-Chuck Harris

No Spam wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:30:09 UTC, Chuck Harris
wrote:

Spray cleaners like 409, work too, spray liberally, and
scrub with a brush, and rinse with pure water, distilled is best.
Drying in a convection oven (fan circulation) at 140F finishes up the
job. A cardboard box with a fan, and a light for a heater works too.

careful with 409, I've seen it degrade the panel lettering.

I de-smoked an SB-303 by hand wiping every exposed wire, part,
surface using a clean cloth damped with a very dilute detergent
solution. It took a lot of work but I was recovering from hand
surgery and needed a punishing amount of effort as physical therapy.

Gently and firmly rubbing small components for hours is excrutiating
pain but it really strengthens your fingers.

de ah6gi/4 www.kiyoinc.com/heathstuff.html