Old July 18th 05, 06:33 PM
Old Ed

Hi again, Ham Op -

You're one step ahead of me re the G5RV in that you have
used one. I have not. I see no reason to doubt your (inferred)
statement that you were only satisfied with it on 20m.

However, the ARRL antenna book lists the G5RV in the chapter
on Multiband Antennas, and begins the description as follows:
"A multiband antenna that does not require a lot of space, is simple
to construct, and is low in cost is the G5RV." (To be fair, the ARRL
piece goes on to state that 20m is the most-favored band in the
G5RV design.)

A common-sense question would be: Why would Varney design
a single-band 20m doublet that is bigger and more complicated
than a single-band 20m dipole, unless he was looking for some
added benefit--e.g., multiband operation? Alas, I don't have ready
access to Varney's old articles, so his thought process will have to
remain unknown to me for the time being.

I have no wish to assume the role of Chief Defender of the G5RV.
I merely responded to some G5RV/2 criticisms that I found illogical.
My dipoles are of the trap and fan variety, and I like them that way.

If I go off the reservation to another type of wire antenna, it won't
be either a Windom or a G5RV; I'd like to experiment with a
multiresonant OCF design. (I really don't want to bring antenna
tuners into my mix--either the conventional lumped-constant type,
or Cecil's variable-line-length type.) I like "instant" QSY+QRO.
Your mileage may vary.

Good DX,

Anonymous Handle (just for grins)

"Ham op" wrote in message
The full size G5RV IS A 20 Meter antenna!! That's a fact.

It performs as designed on 20 meters!!

Any wire can be made to radiate on other frequencies by using stubs,
baluns, tuners, etc. But that does not change the fact that the G5RV is
designed as a 20 meter antenna!!

It works on other harmonically related bands, but it is still a 20 meter
design!

I used one about 6 years ago. Then changed to a center fed doublet with
open wire tuned feeders. I'll take the doublet/tuned feeders any day!

Ham Op