Old July 18th 05, 09:09 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Steve Stone wrote:
There seems to be a TV channel 6 station on the air from NYC metro area
with the only reason to be on the air is to act like a FM station on
87.7. Any one have details on this ?

Yeah, I've heard about this one. WNYZ-LP are the calls.

KZND-LP in Anchorage tried the same thing for awhile. Not sure if
they're still doing it. The FCC seems to have repealed the rule that
requires a station's audio be related to the video.

They do, however, require the station actually *have* video. From what
I've read, the Alaska station first didn't operate a visual transmitter,
only an aural. Word has it they were told that wouldn't fly.

A friend who works and travels from Lodi NJ to the Catskills in NY says
he is hearing a bunch of Spanish LPFM stations scattered across the
Hudson Valley , all on the same FM frequency, all playing the same
programming on a low end frequency that has never been assigned to any
radio station by the FCC in the country with one exception, and this is
not the exception. Could this be a pirate station with translators
linked by internet ? I think he said the freq was 87.9 but don't hold me
to that.

87.9 is certainly a popular frequency for pirates. The only two
legitimate stations on that frequency in the U.S. are near San Francisco
and near Reno, Nev.. And *maybe* that experimental station in Texas is
still authorized.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66