Old July 19th 05, 12:36 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Larry Gagnon wrote:

Am I correct in understanding that TSP, also called Sugar Soap (the stuff
used by many to wash walls before painting) is essentially mostly lye?

Nope. TSP is Tri-sodium phosphate. "TSP substitute" is apparently
often composed largely of sodium carbonate ("washing soda" or "soda ash").

I believe that both of these chemicals will attack aluminum, but that
the reactions are a lot slower than is the case with lye (sodium
hydroxide).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO