Old February 25th 04, 04:03 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "Kevin, VE1TV"
writes:

I'm really surprised that no one has observed that smoke is actually the
reason radios work at all. I recall being taught that once the smoke is
released, the radio usually stops working. I'm pretty sure the smoke is
contained inside those little glass bottles...

No, glass bottles are unique in that they don't run on smoke, unlike their
sorry-state and disintegrated-circuit replacements, which are notorious for
losing their smoke at just the wrong moment.

In BA radios, the smoke is held within the transformers and resistors, and
sometimes the 'lytic caps. I've been there when it escaped.

"In a vacuum, noone can smell your smoke ... " --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.