Old July 19th 05, 05:39 PM
squeege boy

thanks a million
sounds good
going to see if I can build that magnetic loop myself, rather than
buying something

many thanks

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:59:45 +0200, "Thierry" - wrote:

"squeege boy" wrote in message
.. .
I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers

Hi,

IMHO there is no miracle to work in such solution. I have the same problem,
having moved in a modern appartment where I am not allowed to erect any
antenna on the roof. So remain the portable solution.

In your case, for reception, why not to test an active magnetic loop
antenna. They cover all the spectrum in continue
see e.g. http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/qsl-ala1530.htm

As you are licensed I think, there are also magnetic loops for TX, see e.g.
www.wimo.de
Only drawback, better to stay over 7m from the antenna due to the magnetic
field generated. If you can do that, it's fine. Its performances are not
better than a dipole but its is somewhat directive. That helps.

Hope this helps.

73
Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry