Old July 21st 05, 01:07 AM
Mike Coslo

Mike Coslo wrote:

wrote:

http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

My thoughts.

First, the unit has a lot of promise. While I think I prefer separate
components between the computer and the rig for flexibility, this setup
might just be fun to use.

Some folks might like the integrated internal computer. It's certainly
the first rig to offer it. My only concern is that a computer's life
cycle is much shorter than most ham rigs'.

Of course, the computer would work for all the Ham radio functions at
the time of manufacture, so it wouldn't "go" out of date.

Plus my idea given down below might be a winner.

Next, I don't buy the teeny florescent screen rationale. My idea of the
modern integrated rig is more along the line of looking like a laptop,
with a folding large screen on top of the RF portions of the box. But
that's just me.

You can plug an external VGA display into the rig.

Sometimes.

But you see, here is what I'm thinking of. A computer with the RF guts,
and a laptop of some choice that plugs into the computer, and sets on
top of it. Many of the features now used in hardware could be handled by
the laptop. You would have logging, digital modes, dsp - probably not
important to you, but for a growing group of us, it would be great.

If the laptop were to become obsolete, say if a new mode came along
that required too much horsepower, then the unit could be replaced. A
mounting kit could be made available. In fact, a radio could be designed
so that you could attach your present laptop.

Interesting that they chose an LDG autotuner. This is a concept that
might be expanded upon.

It would be wonderful if ham rigs were like desktop computers in the
form of standardization.

Sometimes.

Don't like the computer interface screenshot.

I really hope that they do well. I do think the price point is too
high. I would be willing to pay extra for an American made unit, but 3K
for the entry level, and 6K for the works unit is pretty high.

Perhaps - but a lot depends on how well it really performs.

Unless of course, the rig has outstanding performance. I would love to
see some test results.

Mo bettah, some actual on-air performance. Somebody wins CQWW DX with
one, then watch the fireworks...

Or to really get to the bottom of it: Is it $6000 worth of fun?

And is it 6K worth of fun for the XYL? ;^)

Hoping that they can sell enough to expand the concept, because it is a
good one....

Expand which concept? Kits have been around a long time - curious that
they never mention Elecraft or any of the other kits...

For me, the concept isn't the kit - its the idea of the integral
computer, the modular construction, even to using another manufacturers
tuner.

Of course my entire main HF rig cost me less than one of their optional
filters, so I guess everything is relative....

One more observation on price:

Go to the local Home Depot, Lowes or similar outfit, as long as they
carry a full range of appliances and such. Look at the ranges,
refrigerators, countertops, etc.

You can get a nice range for $300-400, or spend double, triple,
quadruple that price for one with all the gizmos like self-cleaning,
stainless steel, high-capacity oven, dissimilar burners, etc. Same for
dishwashers, refrigerators, etc. Countertops? Granite seems to have
replaced Corian and similar materials around here, at $100 a square
foot, installed. Me, I prefer a nice laminate like
Formica, but apparently a lot of folks prefer fancier stuff.

Does a burger taste any better if it's made in such a kitchen? I dunno,
but they must be selling the fancy stuff because they continue to stock
it.

If its involved with real estate, people will shuck out astoundingly
foolish amounts of money.

BTW, those McMansions are becoming very, very hard to resell.

- Mike KB3EIA -