Old July 21st 05, 05:31 PM
John Smith

MnMikew:

Interesting theory. We could propose a test to see if what you say is
true.

Say, require a person to do 5 WPM before they can use usenet, IRC or
IM clients? ROFLOL!

Perhaps we would find it is actually a "good thing." Next we could
require a person be able to rollerskate 5 miles over rough pavement
before we allow them a drivers license? I mean, what if traffic is
too heavy or their car breaks down--it will be useful! grin

John

"MnMikew" wrote in message

wrote in message
"MnMikew" wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"beerbarrel" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:31:02 -0400, dxAce

wrote:

Joel Rubin wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:33:36 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-143A1.doc

John

Code ability should be one alternative among other
technical

tests.
It
seems very odd to freeze a technical test in a museum of
bygone
technology.

If one cannot learn at least a minimal 5 WPM code then they
have
absolutely no
business obtaining an amateur license.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Agreed!

Wazziss??? I'm in full agreement with Tracy and Steve on
something..
*looks
around for the four horsemen of the apocolypse*

It would be more of an incentive for me to get my ticket if I
could use

HF.
I have ZERO interest in CW. Maybe open a little HF for techs?

Many of us had ZERO interest in CW. And it wasn't easy for us
either.
Learn just enough to pass and never use it again.
There should be no free lunch.

Yes, perhaps. But the CW requirement probably keeps a lot of people
out of
ham radio.