Old July 21st 05, 07:59 PM
John Smith

On that logic, we should all use sign language. It is silent and
doesn't disturb anyone.

John

"beerbarrel" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:40:38 -0500, "Count Floyd"
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:02:22 UTC, beerbarrel
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:21:35 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

The written test probably does as well. Should that also be
dropped.

If one can't learn even a minimum 5 WPM then they have no
business in amateur
radio. 5 WPM is incredibly easy, heck, even the 'tards should be
able to master
that.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

CW is not going to go away just because they drop the requirement.
Like Steve says, It's not that hard. Most anyone can learn 5 wpm
in as
little as a month or less. I think that something worth having is
worth earning.

That might have been true in Samuel F.B.Morse's time. Get real,
code
is an archaic leftover from the "old days" and has been used merely
as
a "stumbling block" to keep the hobby a closed society. In fact,
radio itself seems to be going the way of the dodo bird, what with
satellite, internet, etc. Code is about as useful as C.W. McCall'
song about CB radio back in the 70's. I am not sitting at a key,
wearing gaiters on my sleeves, a green visor and tapping out code
over
the air while the ship hits an iceberg. Come into the 21st century
for Christ's sake. Should everybody go back to spark controls on an
automobile? Attic fans and no A/C? McGuffey's Reader? Face it,
people, technology and now rules, have to move on. Of course, I
drive
a 1940 Chrysler, so what do I know!

CW is efficient because you only have to understand the signal
pattern
and not the signal audio. The narrow signal also takes up little
bandwidth. Not only does this make CW very efficient but also the
most
reliable form of communication for a person to use.