Old July 22nd 05, 02:53 AM
running dogg

John Smith wrote:

YEAH!!!

Hide all the answers and require 'em to come up with the answers
psychically!!!

ROFLOL! Get real, any college is test smart, any CS/EE technology
student will blow the doors off any test any panel can come up with in
damn short order.

I figure that the A+ Certified computer technicians at my vocational
school (whose ranks I hope to join by early next year) know more about
electronics theory and construction than the average appliance operator
ham. It seems to me that a lot of hams are old farts who were educated
on tube equipment-all this modern stuff, including microprocessors,
might as well be Chinese to them. I like the idea somebody had of an
over the air test, graded by a panel of judges situated around the
country. Of course, with today's appliance equipment one just has to
plug it in and hook it up. I'd like to see some stuff on electrical
engineering (basic theory and application) and maybe a hands on portion
where the prospective ham builds and operates a simple rig. That would
eliminate the "appliance operator syndrome". Of course, all this would
require a lot more commitment on the part of the FCC than just a written
test where the published answers can be memorized, but the FCC has shown
that they don't give a flying **** about amateur radio. Like the rest of
government, they're in business to give maximum profit to a favored few
(the NAB, in this case) and extract maximum taxes (fines) out of the
rest of us. All the FCC cares about is AM/FM broadcast radio (thus the
hefty fines handed out to FM pirates while SW pirates operate with
impunity for years) and TV. The FCC doesn't control cable or satellites,
which have been and are taking market share away from on air operators,
so the FCC is focusing on what it has control over. But SW? Forget it.
WWCR operates in the tropical bands, WWRB operates out of band, and the
FCC does nothing (and did I mention the pirates?). There's no profit in
SW, no NAB for SW, so the FCC ignores it.

John

"MnMikew" wrote in message

"beerbarrel" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:39:12 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

I couldn't agree more with dropping CW from the ham test.
It reminds me of the legal profession here in South Africa.
It used to be a requirement that lawyers had to pass Latin in
high

school
and have at least two courses in Latin for their law degree.
That was scrapped about ten years ago amid loud protests from
the

dinosaurs.
Today the law profession is flourishing more than ever before
with high
quality judges and advocates.
The only thing I have noticed is that the high and mighty no
longer

spew out
Latin quotations = R.I.P.

Our SARL (South African Radio League) ham club is diminishing by
the

year
and the once crowded ham bands are now empty.
We need to make it easier for new entrants to come into this
wonderful
hobby.

Why does everything need to be made easier? Can't the 'tards learn
the

code? If
so, WHY can't the 'tards learn the code?

If ordinary folks could pass the test in years past what is so
different

today?

Laziness?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

BINGO!

It seems everybody wants something for nothing these days.

What do you mean nothing? There's still a test. Remove the CW and
make the
tests harder then.