Old July 22nd 05, 12:42 PM
K4YZ

Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

Amazing, isn't it?

They ask for public opinion then say "We'll do what we want
anyway..."

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

They said it in 98...They want to reduce all administrative burden
to an absolute minimum...

The fewer regulations there are on the books, the less enforcement
they have to do. I am surprised they haven't tried to "outsource"
their enforcement duties.

- The changes of 2000 brought a lot of upgrades and some short-term
growth, but now the number of individuals with unexpired US ham
licenses is almost 10,000 below what it was in May of 2000. Nor has
there been any sort of "techno-revolution" from the reductions in code
testing.

Predictions:

- There will be a lot of debate and commentary. But in the end FCC will
just dump Element 1 and make no other changes.

I'm still holding out for 5WPM for Extra, but prudence says you're
right.

- There will be a lot of upgrades and a short-term peak in licenses.
But not long term growth.

There never has been, there never will be. Reducing testing,
either the number of written test or the 13/20WPM Code tests, has not
done a thing to move the service forward.

- The HF/MF bands will not be overrun with more activity.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....For a while there will be...All those new
"Generals" will plop down some bucks on HF stations, work some DX, then

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

They've had their chance since 1991 to do that if they wanted.

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

As I was saying in another thread...!

73

Steve, K4YZ