Old July 22nd 05, 07:05 PM

From: Michael Coslo on Jul 22, 11:03 am

wrote:
Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

That "observation" is ERRONEOUS unless the statistics work
can be presented to "prove" that the "majority 'supported'
code testing."

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

- The changes of 2000 brought a lot of upgrades and some short-term
growth, but now the number of individuals with unexpired US ham
licenses is almost 10,000 below what it was in May of 2000. Nor has
there been any sort of "techno-revolution" from the reductions in code
testing.

Again, an ERRONEOUS observation based on rather public data
websites showing that the peak of licensee numbers happened
in July of 2003...and the drop to present-day numbers was only
TWO-THIRDS of that "10,000."

Predictions:

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

No, certainly not brought about by the new folks - as a group. But I
don't doubt that some of the new folks may very well involved.

What are you saying in that last sentence?

Since when has "a group" brought about sudden changes (a
"revolution")?

Nearly ALL technical innovation in amateur radio has been
brought on by INDIVIDUALS or individual corporations.

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

Yawn! That won't be anywhere near as much fun as the Element 1 debate!

TS

One more thing that will happen, and I hope it doesn't. I anticipate a
bit of class warfare, as (some of) the code tested try to establish
superiority over the great unwashed who enter the ARS.

Great leaping whatzits! These Mighty Macho Morsemen have been
making "superiority" noises over others for DECADES!

The "class warfare" stuff was what created the old Byzantine
CLASS SYSTEM in U.S. ham radio!!!

Quite frankly, that will make those so called elite a worse problem
than the newbies coming into the service.

What you mean NOW, kimosabe?

Try 40 to 20 years before now. Seen it. Part of the reason I
never bothered with an amateur radio license was the attitudes
of the vocal yokels and their "authorized by the federal
government" importance and "superiority."

Now will be a time for Elmering and openness. I've sat and listened to
enough grumbling about Nickel Extras such as myself, right to my face,
from OT's who haven't done a thing for the service for years, talk about
how "Any idiot can become a Ham now." This happens more often than it
should.

Total agreement with you on that!

I intend to provide as much help to the newcomers as possible, instead
of grousing about the "good old days", and steely eyed F.C.C testing agents.

:-)

That I support Element 1 testing is of no consequence to the new people.

I suggest that the Ham who wants to be thought of as superior establish
that superiority by example, not by grousing or ridiculing the new
folks. Foster the idea that good manners and technical acumen is a good
thing.

Will you nominate K4YZ to lead that group? :-) :-) :-)

Just some thoughts.....

...and mine, SUPPORTING the elimination of the morse code test.

bit bit