Old July 23rd 05, 01:40 AM
Richard Fry

"Roy Lewallen" wrote:
As I'm sure you know, AM broadcast antennas intentionally radiate
very little sky wave, and that's what amateurs need for communication
beyond a few miles. Some care must be used in comparing MW
broadcasting requirements and characteristics with amateur
HF communications.

AM broadcast station verticals have very significant energy at elevation
angles that can be propagated by skywaves. As I'm sure you know, Class A AM
broadcast stations have an extended geographic service area served
exclusively by their nighttime skywave--many times more area than is served
by their surface wave, in fact.

Richard Clark's statement did not limit his conclusion to amateur HF
communications.

RF