Old July 23rd 05, 02:23 AM
Dee Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

[snip]

Now will be a time for Elmering and openness. I've sat and listened to
enough grumbling about Nickel Extras such as myself, right to my face,
from OT's who haven't done a thing for the service for years, talk about
how "Any idiot can become a Ham now." This happens more often than it
should.

I would've gotten right in their faces and asked them what they had done
lately for ham radio.

Well, my mode of operation is not to get in peoples faces. If someone does
manage to get me mad, we usually have a private talk. Lets them save face.
Usually I just say something like "I resemble that remark!"

Actually Mike, it depends. If they have spoken in private, I speak in
private. If they choose to make a fool of themselves in public, then I'll
help them along and point out that foolishness in public. I've had
experience with people who will deliberately put you down in public based on
the concept that you are too polite to respond in public. I had a former
husband who was like that and I finally had to go ahead and speak out in
public to get him to stop. Chewing him out in private did no good.

[snip]
I suggest that the Ham who wants to be thought of as superior establish
that superiority by example, not by grousing or ridiculing the new folks.
Foster the idea that good manners and technical acumen is a good thing.

That is the only true measure.

Will we measure up?

- Mike KB3EIA -

I hope so. I know both you and I and many others will try.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE