Old July 23rd 05, 02:13 AM
Yodar

Jeff wrote:
I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers

A metal slinky with a MLB on the end and feed your radio with
coax. Use inside or out. Collapses down to a very small package when
not using and works amazingly well. Use it vertically or horizontally.
About the most simple and most effective HF ant. you could use for
apartement life. Dont waste your money on an active antenna, they
are notorious for picking up all sorts of electrical noise, sometimes to
the point of the radio being unlistenable.

I have done that and my SLINKY (vertical) drops off severely on
wavelength shorter than 40M...Study of SLINKY antenna resources indicate
it is resonant around 7.2 Mhz

Yodar