Old March 3rd 04, 04:07 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , Roger Halstead
writes:

OTOH, there are many tubes in the multi KW range that are Huge. I've
seen pictures of "walk in" tubes that had an air lock.

"I believe" it was the old VOA station. "It seems" like there was a
story on it wayyyy back in QST. Maybe in the 60s or 70s.
OTOH it could have been one of the very high powered VLF stations. At
least those are a couple of good places to start.

Most likely you are remembering the plate coil and capacitor output network of
one of the old Navy VLF stations. I remember photos of a big room full of the
inductor and some capacitors that looked like they'd hopped off telephone
poles. The room had copper plated walls and an interlock on the door to cut
the juice if someone opened it.

I doubt there were ever walk-in tubes. The vacuum required for any kindof tube
life is so "hard" and pure that you wouldn't be able to pump out a whole room
to that purity. Though maybe with a really big "getter" ... Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.