Old July 25th 05, 12:02 AM

From: John Smith on Jul 24, 12:07 pm

... search the net out there...

John, don't get carried away.

"Searching the net" can get you "evidence" of alien abductions,
aliens stored at "Area 51," alternative medicine of all forms
that will "cure" all your ills, quackery and buffoonery that
doesn't stop. Try a Swiss by name of Erich von Daniken who
managed to get at least five printed books published showing
"positive proof" of the existance of "ancient astronauts."

... there are 50KW monster mobiles in big rigs running multiple industrial alternators...

John, this was already "discussed" in here along about five
years ago...but it was in ordinary cars and pickups, not "big
rigs." We went through the Watts and Joules and Horsepowers
ad nauseum to prove it infeasible.

"Industrial alternators" like the Leece-Neville units are only
capable of so much. At above 5 KW we are talking serious
SEPARATE electrical generators. Even if this mythical 50 KW
transmitter exists, its efficiency will be no more than 70%
running Class C, no more than 55% (at best) running AB_2.
So, the waste heat of a Class C 50 KW transmitter is 22 KW
all by itself. That's like 22 portable room heaters all
blazing away in one tiny place. A "reefer" truck can probably
handle it, but WHY?

["reefer" truck is a refrigerated trailer, not a transport for
marijuana]

50 KW is 40 db over a conventional truck-stop 5 W transceiver.
Anyone on the highways with THAT much power would suddenly
find themselves rather turned off by dozens and dozens of
other truckers who got totally blocked by this super-power
transmitter. Geez, at 50 KW, a little crystal set can be
used for DFing! :-)

... they are more show than go (even the FCC would take interest in those rigs if they about all the time!), and you see them at the monster RF get togethers back east in Tennessee and surrounding states...

Riiiiight. :-(

I have walked though such a "meet" (they are kinda like "car shows") before with a 4 ft. fluorescent tube, amazing, the ether is filled with RF!!!

Oh, geez, John. An ordinary fluorescent tube will light up at less
than a hundred watts incident RF...but one has to be CLOSE to the
field in order to do that. At ADA we did "SWR" checks on
open-wire feedlines using a fluorescent tube, two bamboo poles,
and two low-rank pole holders trudging through the flickering
dark (feedlines were 12 to 15 feet above ground). The electric
power demand (at the old site) was about 350 KWe so I figure
roughly 250 KW RF tossed out by 30 some transmitters at any one
time. Those fluorescent tubes did NOT light up in the middle
of the antenna field.

At the new ADA transmitter site, built on an old airfield about
1 x 2 miles, resident farmers were IN the antenna field. A few
had fluorescent lights. None were turned on by about 400 KW RF
radiated in that field. Pretty well made all the radios they
had useless, though, from rectification blockage. Note: Not
all the 40 KW Collins amplifiers had arrived by the time I made
that estimate. The existing 600 KWe generators were increased
by another 200 KWe shortly before 1956. The adjacent but
separate microwave radio relay building had fluorescent lights
as did the office area in the main building. Those lights did
NOT come on from all that RF of 400 KW plus...

Do I challenge your assertion of this RF field strength? YES.
Based on my experience I don't believe it.