Old July 25th 05, 12:18 AM
David

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:56:07 GMT, (Peter Newman)
wrote:

You have not responded to my questions enquiring about your racism
implicit in your earlier "crazed white guys" statement. I understand
you have now realized its silliness.

I am racist. I am an exception. Who isn't?
Otherwise, it's a popular perception.

The assertion that terrorism is somehow related to the West
not "living within their means" is a popular cliche amongst the left,
but entirely erroneous. None of the 9/11 terrorists were recruited
from poor people. Moreover, none of them specified poverty as the
cause of their act. For example, Mohammed Atta's father claims that
his son's act (of which he remains immensely proud) is just a first
shot in a long religious war.

I was speaking more in the sense that we tend to exploit the locals
while carting-off all their bananas. And we do have a record of
genocide and slavery.

Bono and Geldof are not right at all - they are simply skillful
publicity seekers. Throwing money on poor countries won't help them -
this will only promote their culture of dependency and corruption and
achieve an entirely opposite effect. What would help is establishing a
strong legal system combined with responsible law enforcement where
local business can safely take roots, and where foreign business can
safely invest to.

Fascinating.

The West needs to make no excuses for living well - we have worked
hard many long centuries to achieve our standard of living. We are
always happy to help - as we indeed do. But to blame us for other
countries' failures, in this case for the obvious failures of Islamic
countries, is a bit too much.

I don't think they want our help. I think they want us to go away.