Old July 25th 05, 07:02 PM
Michael Lawson

wrote in message
ups.com...

Actually, an Eton employee has been using one of the new E1's for
several weeks now and says it surpasses the Satellit 800. Remember,
the new E1 has THREE bandwidths, a FAST/SLOW AGC, selectable

sideband
sync detection, as well as PASSBAND tuning. So the set is actually
somewhere between the Drake SW8 and the Drake R8B. The only main
features missing on this portable are a Noise Blanker and extra
bandwidth filters for CW reception. It is also missing a ferrit
antenna for MW reception but instead uses the whip antenna, as does

the
Drake SW8. I would have preferred a large ferrit antenna for

complete
portability rather than have to hook up a loop or other external
antenna for MW DXing. This should be (and I am told IS) a killer
portable.

The Sat 800 had three bandwidths, Fast/Slow AGC,
and SSB sync. Only addition is passband tunig.

The reason given to me as to why the delays -- they are working out

all
quality control issues BEFORE they release any production units for
retail as they don't want a repeat of what happened when the

Satellit
800 came out.

We'll see. IIRC, the Sat 800 took awhile to get to
market too.

--Mike L.