Old July 25th 05, 09:21 PM
Steve Nosko

Roll pin problem:
I use the smallest plastic tye-wrap instead of the roll-pin. Looking at it,
I reasoned the roll pin was a bad solution because of the way it stresses
the wedge side-mate structure. I use the standard Power Pole configuration
(for the battery charge option and commonality with everyone) and put the
"head" of the tye-wrap so it is on the "top" when viewed from the
"red-on-the-right" standard view. Pull the tye-wrap through all the way, so
the head is up against the Andersons, then bend the rest around, to the rear
between the two wires and tighten (not too tight or it will also tend to
spread the two Andersons). I crease (fold and squeeze with pliers) the
tye-wrap so it is "square" at the bend points. This way the two mating
tye-wrap "heads" are on opposite sides (for a blind ham in the area) to mate
by feel.

Offset bad-mate problem:
One solution to the "offset connection" problem is to add an empty body on
the outside on each side, then fill it with epoxy. This'll prevent mating
red to black. Perhaps one of you enterprising fellas will approach Anderson
with a proposal to manufacture such a blank. It doesn't need to be full
size, just enough to block the offset mate. It only needs the wedge
side-mat and a front end in the shape of an "L". If it has a small hole in
the front, it could also be used to chassis mount the pairs.

73, Steve, K9DCI