Old July 26th 05, 10:30 PM
Cecil Moore

W5DXP wrote:
Eugene Hecht would be surprised to hear you say such since he
talked about the powers (irradiance) of various reflections in
the same media.

Only when dealing with the interference of TWO waves.
He works with electric field when discussing anti-reflection
layers. See 9.7.1

I'm not saying the power equation you give is wrong, but it
is correct for just two waves. With more than two waves, it
obviously becomes more complicated

medium 1 medium 2 medium 3
A B
1000mW----| |
|----888.9mW----|
111.1mW----| |----790.1mW
|----98.76mW----|
87.79mW----| |
|----10.97mW

I appologize if the diagram wasn't clear. It is extremely
difficult to draw graphics in ASCII.

But I only ever deal with TWO waves. Above in medium 1,
the two waves are the 111.1 wave and the 87.79 wave.
There are only TWO rearward-traveling waves there. Hecht's
irradiance equation works for those TWO waves.

The TWO waves in medium 2 are the 888.9 wave and the
10.97 wave. There are only TWO forward-traveling waves
there. Hecht's irradiance equation works for those
TWO waves.

Since I am not trying to calculate the power in the standing
waves, there are only ever TWO values of power to deal with.

Sorry for the confusion.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp