Old September 7th 03, 03:20 PM
David Robbins

wrote in message ...
Vrev^2/Z0 can NEVER be greater than Vfwd^2/Z0
(these being the common definitions of Prev and Pfwd) or did
you have another set of defintions in mind for Prev and Pfwd

this is another of the basic misconceptions that is being applied over and
over on there. note from my big message about powers a couple days ago that
from phasor notation there are really only two types of power that can be
discussed:

average power:
Pav= .5 |I|^2 Re[Z] = .5 |V|^2 Re[Y]

and complex power.
P=.5 V I*

now, note that given Pav you can NOT recover enough information about V to
know its proper phase and magnitude in order to be able to compare it with
anything properly. Complex power on the other had requires the conjugate of
the current, which when expanded gives an equation like:
P=.5 |V| |I| cos(/_V-/_I) + j.5 |V| |I| sin(/_V-/_I)

where again, it is not possible to back up from the power to the full phasor
description of the voltage to be able to use it in calculations or
comparisons.

now, you CAN do this if you restrict Z0 to be purely real, you can NOT do it
if you use a complex Z0 because you can't extract the imaginary term back
out of a power calculation that has specifically removed it.

so all these places where you guys start doing sqrt(Pref/Pfwd)=Vfwd/Vref or
Vrev^2/Z0/Vfwd^2/Z0 are worthless in the general case.