Old July 27th 05, 06:39 PM
Ham op

Cecil Moore wrote:

SNIPPED

Back around 1954, I put 600 feet of copperweld in the air,
fed by a modified ART-13 running 500 watts. The lights
in my room would dim during key down.

The closest TV transmitter was 90 miles away in Houston.
Madisonville, TX had no TV cable system at the time. When
I fired up, I wiped out TV reception for a good 100 square
miles. My parents took the ART-13 away from me, made me take
down the 600 ft. random wire, and go back to my 40w Globe
Scout and 40m dipole. :-(

I also came through rather distorted on a local church's
sound system. Some of the congregation thought that God
was speaking to them in an unknown tongue. :-)

Today's newer breed of hams will never have such marvelous experiences.

Funny thing though, even though I earned the WATV interference award on
my first weekend it took almost two weeks to work my 'Elmer' across town!!