Old July 27th 05, 08:59 PM
John Smith

Fred:

I have nothing against those who wish to maintain ancient technology for when
the "madmax age" (I think I even look a bit like Mel Gibson--too bad the women
can't see the similarity!) arrives we will be prepared, I am just against
FORCING people to do this.

I am against requiring them in being proficient in sending smoke signals, shoot
arrows with messages attached, using carrier pidgeon or being able to pass
messages between villages by "african message drum" also, if we get there, we
will pick it up fast enough...

John

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
John, the digital age can come to an end in a heartbeat. An EMP pulse may
well wipe out the computers.

CW which requires nothing but the human mind to get data through will be
with us to the end of humanity.

As hams we need to be able to provide communications under the worst
imaginable scenario. I, and many of the hams on here could in short order
build a simple transmitter and receiver capable of CW operation and get a
message through. What if no one on the other end is capable of receiving the
message?

I guess you can ride like Paul Revere as your car will no longer run unless
you drive an old pre-computer model. The DMV may indeed be asking questions
as to what to do when your horse takes a dump in public.

I don't care if the FCC and the rest of the world makes stupid decisions, I
have no problems with anyone who enters amateur radio via slow/no code. My
objection is with sacrificing a skill that may be required to save lives and
property for the sake of increasing numbers.

Too bad a neat skill set was viewed as a determent...

"John Smith" wrote in message
Ohhh, ask historical questions...

Well, this is the digital age, fat chance of those questions ever getting

there again...

However, when the DMV starts asking questions on how to properly groom a

horse--and what to do if the horse ever farts in public--you will know that
world is ripe for such...

John