Old July 28th 05, 02:49 AM
Bob Nielsen

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:00:25 -0400, Joe Guthart wrote:

I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for HF ... thus far the options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with a counterpoise kit (can't really do radials in my yard). The models that have come up often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan. Both seem similar. The Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to have good reviews and then has a few folks who say it's worthless. Alternatively, I've looked at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom. The problem I have with this is that I only have one large tree to tie off to. To do a horizontal right, I would have to have to use a mast for the other end. I've also heard and seen several people that have used some of the break apart masts to do this and they have ended up with a broken mast.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for
HF ... thus far the options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with
a counterpoise kit (can't really do radials in my yard).  The models that
have come up often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan.  Both seem
similar.  The Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to
have good reviews and then has a few folks who say it's worthless.
Alternatively, I've looked at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom.  The
problem I have with this is that I only have one large tree to tie off to.
To do a horizontal right, I would have to have to use a mast for the other
end.  I've also heard and seen several people that have used some of the
break apart masts to do this and they have ended up with a broken
mast.  /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIV /DIV/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_014E_01C592BB.EB6A0260--

Two points of advice:

1. Don't post in HTML!

2. Take a look at the Cushcraft R8 and the Hy-Gain AV-640 (which is
similar, but has no traps). You also might want to study the K7LXC/N0AX
report on verticals at http://www.championradio.com. This report
compares measurements of several popular verticals.

73, Bob N7XY