Old March 12th 04, 04:53 PM
Peter Gottlieb

Water soluable means the flux will absorb moisture from the air. On very
dry days everything will be fine, but leave the item in a humid evvironment
for a few days and just about every circuit will malfunction.

BTW, if you have a power supply with maybe 48 volts inside and a humid
environment, the flux will eventually cause a carbon track to form on the PC
board, and eventually it will arc over. Try it! It is repeatable, and will
cause a nice fire.

CLEAN OFF THIS FLUX!!

"Mike Knudsen" wrote in message
I just received the following from a friend who has been building

electronic
circuits for his home pipe organ (talk about boat anchors). He got shorts

in a
solid state circuit, so imagine what the new solder he describes would do

in
high-impedance tube gear!

Apparently some solder makers are using a new "organic" flux that cleans

off PC
boards easier, but is conductive. I quote:

At the point that I had completed 5 of these, I ran out of my usual spool

of
Kester solder and began using another (spool of Kester solder). I recall

that
the odor of the melting flux was strange and different than that of the

older
spool.

Now I discover that the flux residue on the new spool is CONDUCTIVE! It's

easy
to discern the difference between the old and the new: the earlier

"rosin"
material was yellowish and hard, and when you picked at the edges of it,

it
would break off in hard granules. The new residue is clear and soft,

about the
consistency of ear wax. (The label on the spool says that the flux is
"Organic," so perhaps it *is* ear wax.)
(end quote)
--Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.