Old July 28th 05, 02:45 PM
Michael Coslo

K4YZ wrote:
QUOTE FROM YAHOO! NEWS

FORT PIERRE, S.D. - Johnny Smith has a new digital cell phone, but he
relies on an older analog bag phone when he travels the wide open
spaces in the western part of the state to line up cattle for sale at a
local livestock auction.

In rural areas where cellular towers are far apart, analog phones often
work when digital models can't get a signal. With the Federal
Communications Commission pushing the move to all-digital phone service
across the country, Smith and others in rural areas are urging the
agency to wait until more towers are built to improve service.

I think that the biggest reason that they work better is not an
inherent digital problem, but that the old analog phones tend to have a
lot more power. IIRC some of the bag phones were pumping out 5 watts,
some may have been more.

Today's cell phones have been reduced in power quite a bit.

"I carry a bag phone just because I can get so much better reception
with it," Smith said. "If you're out in the middle of no place, it's
nice to be able to call somebody."

END QUOTE

(Let's see how long it takes Lennie & Co to make this a "code
test" or "Mighty Morsemen" thread....)

And we'll also see that I have just disagreed with you, and I suspect
that we'll continue to get along just fine, as usual......

- Mike KB3EIA -