Old March 13th 04, 01:18 AM
Chuck Harris

Hi Brian,

I am probably going to go back to the Kester 331 water soluble flux
solder. I hate the stuff. It burns my nose, eats the tips off of my
irons, and just plain smells awful! But, it makes a pretty joint, works
nicely even on ugly looking wires, and washes off with nothing more than
a dip in warm sudsy water.

Isopropyl alcohol works, but only if you soak for 5 minutes, and then
scrub with a tooth brush. You have to clean with your first solution to
remove the solder flake, and most of the flux, then you have to dry and
rinse with fresh alcohol to remove any left over flux that went into
solution. One of these days, I am going to catch the place on fire.

-Chuck Harris

Brian Denley wrote:
Chuck:
I, like you, worked back in those days with trich. I accidentally
'degreased' my hands more times than I care to remember. Boy, did that
sting! I do have a skin condition on my hands now and , while I don't know
what really caused it, it makes me wonder. We had great success also with
1544 flux and Freon TMS degreasers but we can't use those anymore because of
the ozone problem.