Old July 28th 05, 10:32 PM
John Smith

.... in the "olden days" it was expected you would be building that equipment
you were being tested on ...

.... of course logic and reason now demands the removal of those questions ...

John

"Ham op" wrote in message
Caveat Lector wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

You miss the point! Totally missed the point!!

In the 'olden days', the exams were not multiple guess questions; and, they
were answered in front of an FCC Engineer. In the olden days one had to
commit to some real effort to get a license. In human nature we VALUE that
which we work for or invest for.

The crime in ham radio today is the 5 hour Saturday morning cram session
followed by a VE session; followed by a license; followed by loss of interest
in a year or so.

I live in a small town with 14 licensed 'hams' with only one active [me] and
only one HF station [mine].

IMO there is a significant difference between number of licenses issued or
valid and how many hams are on the air.