Old July 29th 05, 12:08 AM
John Smith

Hmmm...

No, I don't believe I will have to read anything...

But, if you can't tell the difference between a white noise generator and an
osc giving a clean fundamental signal with greatly suppressed/filtered
harmonics (or even, non-existent harmonics), you may wish to read-up before
taking that project to the air...

John

"Ham op" wrote in message
White noise is a critical requirement of the Colpitts/Hartley oscillator
design.

Nothing new here!

You say you don't know why White noise is required. Better go read Terman or
other credible designers.

John Smith wrote:

Dave:

I have seen designs used which use a "white noise generator" at their osc.

Simply filter the freq you want from it and off you go...

John

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

In article nH6Ge.22103$HV1.10801@fed1read07,
Caveat Lector wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

I believe that a goodly percentage of fixed-frequency quartz crystal
oscillators use a Colpitts configuration in their feedback circuitry.
Pierce topologies are likely used, as well.

The L in such oscillators is the motional inductance of the crystal,
rather than the inductance of a wire-wound inductor, but the principle
is still the same.

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Because the circuits are still relevant, to either modern ham gear, or
to the older gear that many hams refurbish and use, or to both.

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

VCOs require some form of positive feedback in order to oscillate.
This can be in a Colpitts configuration just as well as in any other.

Questions about a crowbar would certainly be relevant as well.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO