Old July 29th 05, 12:56 AM
Fred W4JLE

The same day I took the test for General, I also took and passed all
requirements for a first class Phone with RADAR endorsement. The engineer
administering the test told me if I wanted to take a really tough test, the
amateur extra was the most difficult given by the FCC.

Unfortunately at that time one had to wait a year to take advanced and two
years to take the Extra. I would sure like to see them reinstate the time
requirements so some of these young bucks could get a little seasoning
before advancing. Today you can get it all in one day. Then armed with your
brand new Extra; proceed to E-Ham and ask questions in the Elmer conference
that could be answered by an old time novice.

"Ham op" wrote in message

The required level of knowledge for a license today is significantly
poorer than 40 or 50 years ago.