Old July 29th 05, 02:42 AM
John Smith

Ham op:

Just where do you get a soldering iron which is small enough to deal with smc
components, these boards are done by machine. The world has gone surface mount
technology yanno...

I only work on the mikes, low pass/high pass/bandpass filters, linears and
feedlines, antennas, parts which are still big enough to handle...

My receiver is a PCI card for my computer (100khz-180Mhz, there are a couple of
birdies on the 2.8Ghz it is mounted in, these were not apparent when it was in
a 900Mhz motherboard) and the xmitter is a continuous full coverage 3-5 watt
transmitter PCI card 100khz-250mhz... computer sound card doubles as the
output audio for the receiver and dsp mike input for the transmitter...
driver/linear is external... different faces(skins) for the receiver (on the
monitor) are software selectable, any mode is possible, with the proper
software--even those NOT invented yet...

My "equip" is pretty much my computer these days, but I do have some ancient
gonset, johnson, hallicrafters, drake which I have not used in over a year.

Got some heavy duty chicken band equip too, but the computer is highly capable
of 11 meters, but not type accepted for CB...

John

John

"Ham op" wrote in message
Does that mean you don't maintain your equipment or know what to look for
when you open the cover?

Amateur Radio is supposed to encourage self learning in some [SOME] phase of
the electronic disciplines associated with the generation, transmission, and
reception of electromagnetic signals.

I consider that self learning requires more than finding and using the ON/OFF
button.

John Smith wrote:

... in the "olden days" it was expected you would be building that equipment
you were being tested on ...

... of course logic and reason now demands the removal of those questions

John

"Ham op" wrote in message

Caveat Lector wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

You miss the point! Totally missed the point!!

In the 'olden days', the exams were not multiple guess questions; and, they
were answered in front of an FCC Engineer. In the olden days one had to
commit to some real effort to get a license. In human nature we VALUE that
which we work for or invest for.

The crime in ham radio today is the 5 hour Saturday morning cram session
followed by a VE session; followed by a license; followed by loss of
interest in a year or so.

I live in a small town with 14 licensed 'hams' with only one active [me] and
only one HF station [mine].

IMO there is a significant difference between number of licenses issued or
valid and how many hams are on the air.