Old July 29th 05, 05:38 PM
John Smith

Wes:

By "master clock" (or bus clock), I take it the digital osc on my motherboard
running at 266Mhz and exists as chip with an in-house part number only, can't
really check.

I suspect it to be a UHF-high precision op amp with crystal controlled feedback
used as an osc, or a set of digital logic gates with osc established though
xtal feedback--either way, a square wave out.

John

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:59:49 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Wes:

Those osc are a thing of the past...

I beg to differ.

Bring a junk am broadcast radio near your computer, you will hear literal
dozens (well, a bunch anyway!) of osc's freqs going on there, probably not
one
being generated by a colpitts, hartley or pierce osc circuit...
And, with the proper processing, all those waves could be a sine...

In all likelyhood, the master clock oscillator for the microprocessor
is a Pierce xtal oscillator. All of the other garbage is derived from
that. There may also be plug-in cards with their own clock, most
likely another Pierce.

In case you've forgotten, these are -digital- circuits, sine waves
need not apply.

Why you guys think that the computer guys have invented some new
-magic- oscillator is beyond me. Wait a minute..... maybe I understand
after all.