Old July 30th 05, 12:17 AM
Michael Black

) writes:
K=D8HB wrote:
While they removed the requirement for a Morse exam, note that they incre=

ased
the written examination passing score for the Basic License. FCC could l=

earn
something from these guys.

Yep

What's interesting too is that new Basics can access HF two ways:

1) Pass the written with 80% or more right

2) Pass the written with less than 80% right *and* pass the Morse Code
test.

IIRC, the basic pass level is 60% (!)

Sounds a little like my old "Chinese Menu" idea.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Well, according to the bulletin, the passing mark is no 70%.

But your're right about the menu. When they restructured back in
1990, some people interpreted it as a coherent number of steps,
with the Basic license at one and and the advanced with code
at the other. But it was (and still is) more of a mix and match
setup. People could pass the Basic and Advanced tests without
needing to pass a code test. Of course, that meant no HF privileges.
Pass a code test, and you got some HF; pass the faster code test
and you got full HF privileges. Code determined whether or not
you could operate at HF.

A few years back, I think it was 2000, they dropped the faster
code test.

Michael VE2BVW