Old July 30th 05, 06:00 PM

Lucky wrote:

It's a solid radio and you can appreciate it's quality in comparison
other Chinese
made radios.

That's good to hear.

I never had a Sat 800 or even listened to one, but from the couple people
who do own both say the E1 sounds much better then the 800 and they like it
much better.

I don't find this hard to believe. The 800's sound is good, but some of
its predecessors certainly had better sound.

My few beefs are NO carrying handle. What were they thinking? If it's a
portable, how are you supposed to carry it around comfortably?

I think the trend is to classify receivers as 'portable' or 'tabletop'
based on their performance rather than their size. This is a misleading
use of the term 'portable', but it explains why a behemoth like the
S800 is called a 'portable' while a sleek little racehorse like the
HF-150 is usually termed a 'tabletop'.

Also, I would
have liked to see an adjustable stand on back of the radio for different
angles of viewing. You see the display can be adjusted for contrast, but you
lose readability from certain angles.

This means you must manintain a certain line of sight setup so you can read
it properly all the time especially the smaller print labels near the very
bottom of the display. Or, you can just keep the radio in an upright
postition eliminating this slight oversight.

Now, there are only 2 little rubber feet towards the back of the radio to
keep it from slipping. Why they didn't put rubber on all 4 feet doesn't make
sense. The cost must be under 1 cent when bought in bulk.

Hmmm. These do sound like slightly annoying shortcomings, but you can
probably find ways to compensate for them.

I need to run over to Rat Shack to pick up the Pal adapter so I can check on
the sensitivity of the rig. ECSS is fine except for the 5 to 7khz offset for
the stations I listened to.

I would be more concerned about this. I'd find out what this is about
before your 60 day trial period is up.

The double sync sideband works very well. It's
comparable to the Lowe 150s implentation of it but I would say the Lowe does
a better job of it.

This doesn't surprise me, but the comparison is probably unfair to the
E1. Despite its hefty pricetag and its many features, I don't think it
was intended to rival receivers like the HF-150.

Aagin, I have only spent one night with it and didn't read the manual
completely yet. I was out all day on friday and was kind of tired when it
came to reading and comprehension of the info. I will read it all today and
tomorrow. The manual also comes on a CD. Oh, they give you pre printed
return lables if you want to return the radio for almost any reason.

Here are your choices:

1] Defective
2] Unwanted gift
3] Quality
4] Changed Mind
5] Damaged
6] Wrong size
7] Wrong Color
8] Arrived too late {much too late
9] Not Item Ordered
10] Other reason and you explain why

So as you can see they give you 60 days and don't care why you don't want or
like it. I'm very, very pleased with that. But, I looks like this is the
Sharper Image's policy only.

Ok guys, off I go soon to pick up the Pal adapter. Everyone have a safe and
happy day.

Lucky

It's hard to argue with this return policy. If you decide not to keep
it, you should have no problems.

Steve